Thursday, September 10, 2009

Keep Your Balance


Well, what can I say? I've been so busy and hence ~ tired, it's been difficult to post in my blog. Which, in general, is a good thing (not to have too much time on you
r hands).

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." ~ Albert Einstein ~

In getting ready for the city inspection I've been taking care of details like getting screens for every window, making sure all the windows function properly, even washing them inside and out (although the city isn't concerned about that).



A t
ough one was the crawl space. This space is 35' wide, 3.5' deep and 2.5' high. The before and after photos are posted above. It needed to be dug deeper by 6", covered with 6 ml thick vinyl and walls insulated with a noncombustible foam board. It's a dirty and physically challenging job which I admit to being physically incapable of handling myself and once again, my brother came to the rescue. We removed the dirt from the crawl space and deposited it on the North end of the house to correct the grading problem (the dirt must slant away from the house to provide adequate drainage).

"Sometimes you make the right decision, sometimes you make the decision right." ~ Dr. Phil McGraw ~

When the framing was inspected, the inspector made note of the fact that no heat runs were installed in either the powder room on the first floor or the master bath. So, I was remembering how I saved money on the appliances and now I had to spend more on something very important that I had overlooked. It only turned out to be $500.00 so it wasn't too much of a killer. (But I was really sweating it until I got that estimate in.) Another potential pitfall is I can't get the air conditioner running, so I'm getting an estimate on that. Although I would prefer that it be fixed, I can't be so vested in that outcome that I fail to see there are ways around it. If I do need to purchase new central air then it will use up more of the money I had set aside for hired help. It will simply require me to learn new things and do it myself. In the end, that's not such a bad thing after all. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment