Thursday, January 22, 2009

Limits to Our Abilities?

Having spent the weekend removing ceramic tiles, on Tuesday I finally met with a contractor who will assist me with the electrical and plumbing modifications. Since he was there, and I figured that he must have done this himself, I asked him if the method I was using to remove the ceramic tile was the easiest way. He promptly showed me how to use the back end of a framing hammer to get under the tile and then pull them off, however, he was stymied as to why it was so difficult to get the hammer under the tile to begin with. What looked like DuroRock board that most ceramic tile is adhered to turned out to be 1" of cement with a metal mesh backing. NOW we got a problem ... and he recommended I rent a mini jackhammer and use it horizontally running between the subfloor and the wire mesh under the cement to break it up. I promptly went to the local rental center and made a reservation to rent one from Saturday night until Monday morning. It costs $62.00/day to rent. Of course to buy it costs $1,000.00, so the rental looks pretty good!

"It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though limits to our abilities do not exist."
~ Pierre Teilhard de Chardin ~

That project is halted until Sunday, so today I take on removing the popcorn ceiling. I already tried by dry scraping, but I remember from HGTV that you can spray it with water first, which turns it into goop, which then can be scraped off fairly easily. Sounds messy to me, but I'll go with a positive attitude and ready to make progress!

"Our belief at the beginning of a doubtful undertaking is the one thing that ensures the successful outcome of our venture."
~ William James ~

I was also able to get a toilet running in the house which is a blessing. The sink is another thing though and will require some plumbing so handwipes will have to do for now. Working in the house is much more comfortable now!

No comments:

Post a Comment