Saturday, January 10, 2009

Stood Up!

A contractor was supposed to meet me at the house on Friday to de-winterize the water pipes and get the water running, but I missed the phone call saying that he had truck problems and was at the shop getting it fixed and maybe he would appear later but would call me first. Of course, he would not answer his phone when I tried to call him...

"Every path has its puddle." ~English Proverb ~

Later in the day I was reminded of the fact "There are no mistakes". My brother pointed out to me the fact that there was no water meter where it was supposed to be, so I'll need to call the city and have them install one on Monday. The contractor would not have been able to do his job had he come anyway!

"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely." ~Auguste Rodin~

And, believe me, there is plenty to do! So, I busied myself with installing fire and CO1 alarms, buying fire extinguishers (homeowners insurance requires them) and even purchased a water conserving toilet which uses 1.3 gallons of water/flush compared to the 5 to 6 gallons/flush used for the average older toilet. Once I install the toilet and am satisfied with its performance for this particular brand, I will replace all the other toilets in the house. Save money - save the environment - think of the future - live in the present.


2 comments:

  1. There is tremendous satisfaction in doing your own work and knowing that in the process you are helping other, even indirectly. I look forward to reading more about your progress...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting a comment, Pauline. I'll be researching ways to make this home green as I go along. You seem to be more experienced in the blog department. This is my first foray into this realm of writing... and in rehabbing. My background is in art and human services, so this project is stepping outside my comfort zone :D

    ReplyDelete