Saturday, December 26, 2009

Ouch!


Well, here we go again! Got a little busy taking driving trips to various locations in the Midwest, flew to Florida to visit friends down there and then the snow came and forced me to focus on finishing up the house. However, when I got back the computer was down and difficult to determine the reason! Was it the internet provider?.... who accused the software.... which led to the hard drive. So, no internet access, no blog! Then, once the computer was up and running, I slipped and fell (hard) on the ice in the park behind the house. Actually, there was a two inch snow cover and I had been walking a while when I reached the area between the hockey rink and a small skate rink between the two. It's one thing to walk on snow covered washboard ice than the pristine glass-smooth surface designed for ice skaters. I totally wiped out apparently breaking my fall with the tip of my third finger on the right hand. The egg-sized knob on the back of my head reported the failure of that fingertip to do an adequate job. Although the crack to my head hurt (thank God for thick hair), the injury to my right hand was much more troublesome and now after two weeks is permitting normal movement.


"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional." ~ M. Kathleen Casey ~

I could go on and on about what a wonder it is to watch the body heal and the wisdom of the way our bodies are designed is so incredible. Should I? Perhaps a little.... So, I figure I must have broken a blood vessel (or fingertip bone? ~ who knows) as the end of my third finger swelled up like a balloon. Now that in itself is amazing because apparently at each joint there is a barrier preventing the blood from going to the rest of the finger, so the rupture confined creates pressure and we all know that pressure stops bleeding! So, although I was in pain, I was totally awed by the safety mechanisms designed within our bodies to protect and heal themselves. And, daily I could watch its progress towards recovery.

"A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses." ~ Hippocrates ~

Of course, being right-handed, recuperation time did take its toll on projects at the house. But, I'm pleased to report that the hardwood floors on the 2nd floor are complete. All the interior doors and closet doors are installed and about half the painting is finished. So, soon on to the quarter-round and base shoe molding and the trim around the doors and windows. One more little trip to San Francisco to meet my sister and then the end of January I plan on assembling and installing the kitchen cabinets and countertops. If I finish by February 1st then this project will have taken a year and a month with about four months of vacation time. Not bad for all that needed to be done. :D

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." ~ Albert Camus ~

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting my song to your blog. That means a lot to me, that somebody just like the song. I hope you like it. If you want I have two albums for download at jakoblewis.bandcamp.com. I don't say this as a plug, but say it because one of them is free and I would love for you to have it, for posting my song on your blog. Peace, and great blog.

    ReplyDelete